You know what sucks more than anything? RULES – I freaking HATE rules. I really do, I literally go out of my way to break rules all the time – perhaps this is the rebellious side of me. Living in Canada, there are rules for everything. It sometimes drives me a little crazy, which is probably why I escape to Bali for months on end where there are literally no rules for anything… ahhh – liberation at it's finest!
Ok so back to rule making. Even though I hate rules (and always have hated rules) I would constantly make rules for myself, and for the way I ate, all day everyday.. It drove me INSANE. On one hand I knew how much I hated rules, and on the other hand I was making rules and trying to stick to them.
Needless to say, this created a clusterf*** of emotions in my mind and literally drove me crazy.
I'd create rules like…
1) I can't have sugar for 7 days
2) I can only eat carbs on the weekends
3) I am only eating veggies for 3 days
4) I'll eat only before 12pm
5) I am not allowed to eat sugar unless I go to the gym
I KNOW – for certain, you have your own set of made up rules which you create for yourself – then you fail at them and you beat yourself up…oh the vicious diet cycle!
Inspired by a fellow kickass emotional eating coach, Geneen Roth – here are some simple ‘rules' you can follow (because sometimes we just need rules)
Geneen Roth's Eating Guidelines
1. Eat when you are hungry. (Truly hungry, body hungry not mind hungry)
2. Eat sitting down in a calm environment. This does not include the car.
3.Eat without distractions. Distractions include radio, television, newspaper, books, intense or anxiety producing conversation and music.
4. Eat only what your body wants. (Big difference from what your MIND wants!)
5. Eat until you are satisfied. (This is different than full).
6. Eat (with the intention of being) in full view of others.
7. Eat with enjoyment, gusto and pleasure.
Aren't these so much more enjoyable? Listen to your body – it knows best. When our mind gets involved, things can sometimes get a bit messy.
What rules are you willing to let go of today? What new ‘rules' will you allow?
I love you for reading this – I really do, I wish I could high-five you and give you a hug for seeking a happier and healthier way of living 🙂
Ps – If you're ready to take the next step and finally end your battle with food, you're ready for the Society. Click here to apply.